Monday, 26 April 2010

Designers Republic - Coke Bottle (OUGD103)

I discovered this design by Designers Republic in my Graphic Design book, "Contemporary Graphic Design" by Charlotte and Peter Fiell.

'Lovebeing - M5 Project For Coca-Cola'

WHO, WHAT, WHERE? - What drew me in was the boldness of the design itself and the fantastic, warm colour combinations which really work with the notion of "Lovebeing". There is a very natural quality to the design, what with the inclusion of butterflies and whatnot. The curves of the design have a very natural flow about them. It's all very 'hippyish' if you ask me! Perhaps it's a branding idea that is reminiscent of the old famous coke advert, 'I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke' which has a distinct hippy vibe about it due to the original lyrics of the song being "I'd like to teach the world to sing". Here's the advert for the hell of it:



In fact the one of the latest adverts shares this notion of freedom and nature. Also the extravagance and over-the-top nature of the famous old advert above:





It's also a very fitting design due to Coke's huge target audience. It's a multinational company that is worth millions of pounds. Everyone knows about Coke so I guess it's fitting for them to have such a freely influenced design. Not sure what the hippies would have to say about that though!

However, this is the kind of design that I would ideally like to work to with my Speaking From Experience idea due to the wide target audience of Fresher Students.

A free, fun, 60s influenced design, for a free, fun generation. My Generation! (See what I did there?)

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment